The TSSAA Board of Control met in Murfreesboro on Thursday, January 12.
Financial reports for golf, volleyball, girls' soccer, cross country, cheer and dance, football, and bowling were approved by the Board.
The Board voted to select Hendersonville to host the 2023 and 2024 state cross country championships. They have served as the host of the event for the past three years.
Brackets for all team sports for 2023-24 and 2024-25 and the softball bracket for 2022-23 that were agreed upon by the Athletic Directors of the Division II Class AA member schools were approved.
The Board approved officials' fees for girls' and boys' lacrosse, granted that it is approved to be sanctioned by the Legislative Council at their next meeting, of $100 per varsity contest. Officials traveling 30-60 miles one way would be paid an additional $10 and officials traveling more than 60 miles one way would be paid an additional $50.
A review of the action from the meeting can be found below.
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
- Approved Financial Report of the 2022 Boys’ and Girls’ Golf State Tournaments
- Approved Financial Report of the 2022 Girls’ Volleyball Tournaments
- Approved Financial Report of the 2022 Girls’ Soccer Tournaments
- Approved Financial Report of the 2022 Cross Country State Meet
- Approved Financial Report of the 2022 Cheer and Dance Competition
- Approved Financial Report of the 2022 Football Playoffs
- Heard Recap of NIAAA Conference & Preview of TIAAA Conference
- Approved 2023-24 & 2024-25 TSSAA Calendars
- Voted to select Hendersonville to host the 2023 and 2024 Cross Country State Championships
- The Board voted to instruct the state office to make the draw for the regional and state tennis tournaments.
- Approved the Division II Individual Wrestling Tournament Format
- Approved the brackets for all team sports for 2023-24 and 2024-25 and the softball bracket for 2022-23 that were agreed upon by the Athletic Directors of the Division II Class AA member schools.
- Discussed Division II Football Brackets and will review upcoming brackets for a three-year cycle in Division II A and AA.
Discussed future brackets for Division I in regards to where the home and away teams fall on the bracket and how that should be rotated on a four-year cycle. The staff will provide proposed brackets at the next Board meeting.
- Discussed recent action of the Legislative Council.
- Heard Sports Medicine Update
- Heard update regarding the InsideOut Initiative
- Region Basketball Tournaments
- Reviewed the region sites that have been approved.
- Approved Region 7A request for an earlier start date for the Region Tournament. The request is for the girls’ quarter-finals to begin Thursday, February 23, and the boys’ quarter-finals to begin on Friday, February 24.
- Approved Hillsboro High School’s request to host all rounds of the Class 4A, Region 6 Basketball Tournament.
- Voted to set Lacrosse Officials’ Fees for 2023-24 and 2024-25 if the Legislative Council votes to sanction the sport at their next meeting.
High School Varsity: $100
Under 30 miles one way = No additional reimbursement
30-60 miles one way = $10
60+ miles one way = $50
- Voted that all Region Tournament admission fees be set by the Region in all sports.
- Discussed the Homeschool Rule and Virtual School Rules
- Approved Hamilton County Schools request for an exception to the Co-op rule in Girls’ Softball involving Ivy Academy, Sale Creek School, and Soddy Daisy High School.
- Approved Cumberland Gap High School’s request for classification change for basketball, baseball, and softball from District 2AA to District 1AA.
- Approved the request submitted by Girls Preparatory School to allow the state office to grant an exception to the bylaws, which would allow girls only schools to have the opportunity to practice basketball with another designated school’s boys basketball team during the school season.
- Heard update regarding football championships and discussions with Chattanooga Sports regarding the contract for the 2023 and 2024 football championships.