BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES June 6-7, 2017 Murfreesboro, TN
1. Roll Call2. Approved Minutes of Last Meeting 3. Voted to give the state office permission to conduct the Regional and State Volleyball Tournament draw. 4. Approved the Financial Report of the 2017 Basketball Tournament Series 5. Approved the Financial Report of the 2017 Wrestling Tournament Series 6. Approved the Report of the 2017 Athletic Directors Conference 7. Approved the Report of the 2017 Cheer Coaches Conference 8. Approved the Sportsmanship Report of the 2016-17 School Year This completes the 26th year of the sportsmanship program and we continue to approach this area from many different aspects each year. A full report is always given to the Board of Control by the staff in regard to the number of coaches ejected, disciplinary action, unsportsmanlike incidents investigated, etc. The 22nd year of the A. F. Bridges Program was also reviewed. 9. Approved the Division II Need-Based Financial Aid Final Report 10. Heard update regarding the collection of information regarding regional basketball tournament sites. 11. Approved the Division I and Division II 2017 State Basketball Tournament Allotments 12. Heard update regarding partnership with PlayOn Sports and the NFHS Network 13. Heard an Update from the TSSAA Sports Medicine Advisory. 14. Voted that (a) TSSAA continue to print the TSSAA Directory and TACA pay expenses and shipping. (b) TACA would be allowed to print one card that will be good at our championship events all year with picture ID required and one person allowed free admittance. (c) TACA will have a representative at the gates to help with disrespectful coaches. (d) All passes must be sent to the Athletic Director of the School. No passes should be sent to an individual’s home address. 15. Approved the post-season format for Division II-A Tennis and Division II-A Golf.
Players (boys and girls) who place first, second, third, and fourth in the singles and first, second, third, and fourth in doubles in the district tournament shall qualify for the regional tournament. In singles and doubles, the bracket for the region tournament shall be as follows:
Upper Bracket #1 District 1 vs. #4 District 2 #2 District 2 vs. #3 District 1
Lower Bracket #2 District 1 vs. #3 District 2 #1 District 2 vs. #4 District 1The odd-numbered districts shall determine the region site in odd-numbered years and the even-numbered districts shall determine the region site in even-numbered years. Players (boys and girls) who place first and second in the singles and first and second in the doubles in the region tournament shall qualify for the state tournament. Additional qualifiers shall be as follows: In 2018, players (boys and girls) who place third in the singles and third in the doubles in the East and Middle Region Tournaments shall qualify for the state tournament. In 2019, players (boys and girls) who place third in the singles and third in the doubles in the Middle and West Region Tournaments shall qualify for the state tournament. In 2020, players (boys and girls) who place third in the singles and third in the doubles in the East and West Region Tournaments shall qualify for the state tournament. In 2021, the rotation starts over again. In singles and doubles, the bracket in the state tournament shall be as follows:
2018 Bracket 2019 Bracket 2020 Bracket Upper Bracket Upper Bracket Upper Bracket #1 East vs. #2 West #1 West vs. #2 East #1 East vs. #2 Middle #3 East vs. #1 Middle #3 West vs. #1 Middle #3 East vs. #1 West Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket #1 West vs. #3 Middle #1 East vs. #3 Middle #1 Middle vs. #3 West #2 East vs. #2 Middle #2 West vs. #2 Middle #2 East vs. #2 West
In Division II, Class A, district competition, the top three teams and the top five individuals not on one of the three teams with the best scores shall advance to the regional championship. The regional champion team, the regional runner-up team, and the top two individuals not on one of the qualifying teams shall advance to the state championships.16. Heard report regarding TMSAA Championship Events. 17. Approved the financial report of the 2017 State Bowling Tournament 18. Voted to approve the following format for the Division II State Bowling Tournament
The top two teams from the East Region, the top four teams from the Middle Region, and the top two teams from the West Region will qualify for the state tournament. The bracket in the state tournament shall be as follows:19. Approved a Mercy Rule for TSSAA Girls' Soccer/Soccer The clock shall run continuously except for heat time outs and injuries once a 5-goal differential has been established. The clock will continue to run for the remainder of the game if the goal differential falls below 5. If a 9-goal differential has been reached at halftime or at any time during the 2nd half, the game shall be terminated. 20. Approved a new Official Fee Schedule for the next four-year cycle. 21. Approved Bluff City High School's Request for TSSAA Membership The school will open in 2017-2018 as a Category I public school in Memphis. The anticipated enrollment is 120-165 students in grade 9 only. Plans are to add a grade each year. They plan to participate in baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, and track and field at the varsity level in District 16, Class A and the Small Division in track and field. They will also participate in District 16, Class A in JV basketball and Class 1A, Region 8 in JV football. 22. Voted to table the Golf Format proposal from Alcoa High School of Division I. 23. The Board approved an additional weight class in Girls’ Wrestling beginning with the 2017-2018 school year. The weight classes will be: 103, 112, 119, 125, 132, 140, 150, 160, 170, 190, 215. 24. The 2017-2018 Girls’ Volleyball State Championships were originally scheduled to be played on October 18th-20th at MTSU. We were informed that ESPN picked up the MTSU home football contest on Friday, October 20th. As a result, the Board voted to move the championships to October 16th-18th. 25. Approved Region 7A request for an exception to region basketball format. Girls’ quarterfinals - Thursday, February 22 Boys’ quarterfinals - Friday, February 23 Girls’ semifinals (at Trinity Christian Academy) - Saturday, February 24 Boys’ semifinals (at Trinity Christian Academy) - Monday, February 26 Girls’ finals (at Trinity Christian Academy) - Tuesday, February 27 Boys’ finals (at Trinity Christian Academy) - Thursday, March 1 26. Voted to table potential changes to the DI Bowling Format (State Tournament) until the August meeting. 27. Approved Gateway University’s Request for TSSAA Membership Gateway University is a secondary charter school in Memphis under the Shelby County Board of Education. In 2017-2018, they plan to open with the 9th grade and add a grade each year. Their projected enrollment is 150 9th graders for the 2017-2018 school year. If approved, they will participate in Division I, District 15 or 16 A in basketball, baseball, softball, and soccer; District 16 (small) in track and field, cross country, golf, and tennis; and District 18 in bowling. They would like to seek a cooperative agreement in football. 28. Approved the following changes to the Pitch Count Rule in baseball:
In the individual tournament, the East Region and West Region will send 6 individuals to the state tournament and the Middle Region will send 12. Qualifiers must have bowled a minimum of 2/3 of the regular season games available. State qualifiers must be submitted to the state office no later than the date bowling regions must be completed.
Even Year Odd Year Upper Bracket Upper Bracket #1 Middle vs.#4 Middle #1 Middle vs. #4 Middle #1 West vs. #2 East #1 East vs. #2 West Lower Bracket Lower Bracket #2 Middle vs. #2 West #2 Middle vs. #2 East #1 East vs. #3 Middle #1 West vs. #3 Middle
NEW RULES IN BOLDTHESE RULES ARE IN REGARD TO THE POSITION OF BASEBALL PITCHER. GENERAL GUIDELINES:
- Make sure properly warmed up prior to any throwing activity. Use proper equipment to aid in the warm up. (Surgical tubing, etc…)
- Make sure a proper dynamic and static stretching plan is followed prior to throwing.
- Educate pitchers on proper mechanics and techniques of throwing.
- Monitor for signs of mechanical breakdown and fatigue.
- Take immediate action if a pitcher complains of pain.
- Consult a trainer/doctor/ trained coach upon completion of game pitching activity.
- Put in place and follow a prescribed post pitching rehabilitation program.
- Make every effort to avoid pitching a player in multiple games on the same day.
- Cannot use the same pitcher three (3) days in a row regardless of number of pitches thrown. Using a pitcher 3 days in a row would violate the using an ineligible player rule.
- (Revised beginning 2018) Each pitch will count as a pitch. In 2017, If a pitcher reached pitch count cut number in the middle of an at bat, he could continue until batter was retired and pitch number would revert back to cut number. Beginning in 2018, If a pitcher gets to the cut number, the pitch count will be exact number. No pitch number will revert back to another number. (120 pitches will be 120 pitches)
- Highly recommended that a coach check with a coach on the opposing team between each half inning to make sure pitch counts are in congruent. (the same)
- Home team would be final correct count.
- Both teams would sign documentation pitch form at the end of each game.
- The pitch count will apply to a player who pitches. JV pitch count and high school varsity pitch count would be linked together. Example – Pitcher A pitches Varsity on Monday 45 pitches, not allowed to pitch JV on Tuesday.
- The pitch count applies to regular season and postseason.
- A pitcher MAY pitch in Game 1 of a doubleheader and come back and pitch in game 2 of the same doubleheader. The pitches in game 2 would be added to game 1 for the total count to determine number of days rest needed. (Pitcher #1 throws 27 pitches in game 1 and 46 in game 2 to reach 73 for the day. He would need 2 days rest from the mound.) (Pitcher #1 throws 27 pitches in game 1 and 46 in game 2 to reach 73 for the day. He would need 2 days rest from the mound.)
- NEW PITCH COUNT VERIFICATION FORM
- NEW PITCH COUNT CHART
LEVEL Maximum number of pitches per appearance Days of Rest (Pitches) 1 2 3 4 0 Days 1 2 3 4 Middle School (7th - 8th Grade) 85 1-19 20-35 36-50 51-66 67-85 High School (Freshman/JV) 100 1-25 26-40 41-65 66-80 81-100 High School (Varsity) 120 1-25 26-55 56-75 76-105 106-120