Thirty teams will suit up for action in the TSSAA state playoffs this weekend. In Division II, six schools will punch their ticket to the BlueCross Bowl, while the Division I schools are set for quarterfinal play. Championship games in all nine classes will be held Dec. 3-5, 2020 at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville.
Schools that have not provided their full roster to the TSSAA Portal with jersey numbers, height, weight and positions should do so at this time.
At Noon central time on Tuesday, all ticket links will be published to the TSSAAsports.com Playoff Headquarters page for the general public to purchase any remaining tickets.
NFHS Network Games
With numerous games potentially reaching capacity on Friday, fans will need another way to watch their favorite teams, which they can do by watching multitude of games on the NFHS Network each week.
The NFHS Network will be bringing more than 15 games to fans that are unable to attend games in person via their live video streaming platform. With an NFHS Network subscription you can watch any and all games for one low monthly or annual fee. The games (with links to the broadcast) are:
Dobyns Bennett High School vs. Maryville High School
Alcoa High School vs. Gatlinburg-Pittman High School
Knoxville Central High School vs. South Doyle High School
Memphis University School vs. Montgomery Bell Academy
Elizabethton High School vs. Greeneville High School
Trousdale County High School vs. Watertown High School
Brentwood Academy vs. McCallie School
Bartlett High School vs. Collierville High School
Oakland High School vs. Riverdale High School
Davidson Academy vs. Nashville Christian School
Milan High School vs. South Gibson County High School
McKenzie High School vs. Peabody High School
Fayetteville High School vs. Moore County High School
Christ Presbyterian Academy vs. Goodpasture Christian School
McCallie vs. Brentwood Academy
Franklin vs. Brentwood
All NFHS Network events are available to watch online at NFHSnetwork.com and through the NFHS Network Live App for iOS and Android.
The full scoreboard, schedules and brackets can be found at https://tssaasports.com/sports/football/.
- South Pittsburg and Gordonsville meet in the postseason for the third straight year and 16th time in playoff history. South Pittsburg has won the last two meetings and has bested Gordonsville in all but five contests (1987, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2012).
- Although the schools are long-time rivals and less than five miles from one another, Oliver Springs and Coalfield will meet for the first time in the TSSAA playoff series. Coalfield has advanced to the state quarterfinals nine out of the last 11 years. Oliver Springs has made the semifinal round five previous times, with its deepest playoff run coming in 2011 in a state semifinal appearance as a member of Class 2A.
- For the fourth consecutive season, South Greene and Meigs County will face off in the postseason. Meigs Co. has prevailed in the three previous meetings which have taken place in the first round (2017), the second round (2019) and the quarterfinal round (2018).
- Brentwood Academy and McCallie meet for the 10th time in the playoffs. McCallie has won only one time in the series, a state championship tussle in 2001 decided by a single point. Four of the nine previous meetings have been decided by three points or fewer.
- With a win Friday against Trousdale County, Watertown would advance to the state semifinals for the first time since 1976. Trousdale has eliminated Watertown from the playoffs in the quarterfinals each of the past two years, by seven points two seasons ago and by only three points last year.
- Franklin and Brentwood will meet for the first time in the playoffs since 2011. Brentwood has won the last two postseason contests by a combined 10 points (2009, 2011).
- South-Doyle looks to advance to the state semifinals for only the second time in school history after being denied in its last two quarterfinal appearances by this week's opponent, Knoxville Central. Central ended South-Doyle's postseason run in 2017 and 2019 by one point and four points respectively. Knoxville Central has won two straight state titles and has advanced to the state semifinals each of the previous four seasons.
- Oakland looks to even the postseason series against crosstown-rival Riverdale in quarterfinal action this weekend. Riverdale has won three of the five previous playoff meetings between the two schools. Most recently, in 2015, Oakland eliminated Riverdale in the second round, 54-7. Oakland also won the first meeting in 1998, a 26-7 victory in the state quarterfinals.
- Despite 26 total playoff appearances, Tullahoma will compete in the playoff quarterfinals for only the fifth time in school history. The school's last win in the quarterfinals was 33 years ago against Knoxville Central, the Class 6A state champion in 2019.
- Bartlett and Collierville vie to become one of the four Class 6A semifinalists this Friday. It has been more than 20 years since either team has competed in the state quarterfinals. For Bartlett, it was 1999 and a win against Germantown, 14-3. For Collierville, it was 1996 and a loss against Pearl-Cohn, 28-0.
- For only the third time since 1990, Gatlinburg-Pittman has advanced to the state quarterfinals. Alcoa is the opponent, a school that has only been eliminated in the quarterfinal round three times since 1990. Since 2000, Alcoa has advanced to the semifinals in all but three seasons.
- With a win over Lexington, Hardin County would advance to the semifinals for only the second time in school history. Twenty-two years ago (1998), Hardin County went 10-3 before falling to Whites Creek in the state semifinals, 42-41. Lexington is 3-5 in playoff quarterfinal contests.
- Rematches from the playoffs 10 years ago (2010): South Pittsburg/Gordonsville, Goodpasture/CPA
- Rematches from the playoffs 20 years ago (2000): Elizabethton/Greeneville, Brentwood Academy/McCallie