BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
November 14, 2013
- Roll Call
- Approved Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to give the state office staff permission to conduct the draw for the State Wrestling Tournament.
- Reviewed the 2013 Regional Meetings and the four proposals that were discussed at the meetings.
- A brief review of state tournament events in golf, volleyball, girls’ soccer, and cross country was provided to the Board. The financial reports for all fall sports tournaments will be presented at the January meeting of the Board of Control.The staff also gave an update of the upcoming 2013 Cheerleading Championships as well as the BlueCross Bowl in Cookeville.
- Board was provided an update of Regional Basketball sites for 2013-2014
- Approved the TSSAA Membership Contracts for 2013-2014
- Voted to not allow schools to participate in posteason competition until any outstanding fines or membership dues are paid.
- Voted to approve Tennessee Online Public School’s request for TSSAA Membership. Tennessee Online Public School is located in Bristol. It is a Category 1 school which is part of the Bristol Tennessee City School System. Their current enrollment is 163 students. They plan to request a cooperative program with Tennessee High School.
- Voted to fine schools who are not in compliance with the new uniform standards outlined in the NFHS Soccer Rules Book $250. Uniform standards for home team must have solid white jersey and solid white socks.
- Voted to approve Family Christian School’s request for TSSAA Membership. Family Christian School is an accredited non-public school in the Jackson-Madison County area. It is recognized as a Category II school by the Tennessee State Board of Education. The school has a total of 15 students in grades 9-12. FCS plans to seek a cooperative program with another Division I or II school in the Madison County area. FCS does not give financial aid to students.
- Denied District 9AAA request to play the first round of their district basketball tournament on Thursday and have four games that night at a central site.
- Denied Grainger High School’s Request to host the Region 1AA Basketball Tournament.
- Heard update from TSSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee. Voted to allow member schools who are interested, to use electronic pre-participation/physical exam forms on a “pilot” basis in lieu of the paper form schools are required to submit. This is pending approval of the form by the TSSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.
- Denied District 1 AAA school’s request for permission to play 3 games of the district basketball tournament on Monday night and 3 games on Tuesday night.
- Denied District 12 AAA request for permission to play four games of the district basketball tournament on Thursday, February 13th.