BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
March 13, 2018
- Roll Call
- Approved Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to approve the state office to begin discussions and work with TACA and the baseball and softball coaches to develop a potential plan for double-elimination tournaments in Division I and the regional and sectional levels of postseason.
- Voted to elect Mike Reed as President of the Board of Control. Voted to elect Tommy Layne as Vice-President of the Board of Control.
- Approved the 2017 BlueCross Bowl Team Allotment Report
- Approved Financial Report of the 2018 State Bowling Tournament
- Approved Financial Report of the 2017 TSSAA Hall of Champions Games
- Approved Lakeway Christian Academy’s Request for TSSAA Membership beginning with the 2018-19 school year. Lakeway Christian is fully accredited by ACSI and AdvanED. It is a 6-12 school in Morristown with an estimated enrollment of 150 students in 2018-19. Lakeway Christian will be placed in Division II, Class A, East Region in football (although they currently do not have a team) and Division II, East Region in bowling. The school will be placed in Division II, Class A, East Region, District 1 in all other sports.
- Voted to instruct the state office to bring back a recommendation at the June Board of Control meeting regarding the consistency of official’s fees for JV and middle school contests.
- Approved the Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce’s request for an extension to host the TSSAA Girls’ Soccer Championships in Murfreesboro through 2020.
- Voted to approve using the 40-second play clock for football for the 2018 season. It is expected that the National Federation will pass a change regarding the football play clock beginning in 2019. Tennessee has been given permission to experiment with the change a year in advance. The Tennessee Football Coaches Association voted to support the rule change as well. Schools are not required to have a visible play clock. The clock will start when the ball is ruled dead. The officials will keep it on the field if no visible play clock is available.
- Beginning with the 2018-19 school year, the state office will be sending digital rules’ books to all member schools in the sports they offer.
- Approved changes to the TSSAA Heat Policy as advised by the Tennssee Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.
- Heard an update regarding the TSSAA Lightning Policy. The NFHS Sports Medicine Advisory Committee is in the process of revising their policy, which the TSSAA policy would mirror with additional language regarding the suspension of play.
- Took no action regarding the request from Rossville Christian Academy to play an independent football schedule
and continue to be allowed to participate in the post-season basketball series.
- Approved the request from Columbia Academy to move to Division II beginning with the 2019-20 school year.