BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
March 16, 2016
- Roll Call
- Approved Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to elect Mike Reed as President of the Board of Control. Voted to elect Jerry Mathis as Vice-President of the Board of Control.
- Approved the 2015 BlueCross Bowl Team Allotment Report
- Approved the Financial Report of the 2016 State Bowling Tournament
- Approved the Financial Report of the 2015 TSSAA Hall of Champions Games
- Discussed having the President and Vice President of the Board of Control and Legislative Council to be present on a panel at the TIAAA Conference in April.
- Voted to form a committee to look at better ways to recruit, train, and retain officials.
- Margolin Hebrew Academy in Memphis is approved to become a TSSAA member beginning with the 2016-2017 school year. The school is approved by SAIS and currently has 57 students in grades 9-12. They plan to participate in Division II in cross country, basketball, and track and field.
- STEM Prep Academy is approved to become a TSSAA member school beginning with the 2016-2017 school year. STEM Prep Academy is a Category I Charter school located in Nashville. Their estimated enrollment will be 260 students in grades 9-10. They plan to participate in cross country, track and field, soccer, and junior varsity basketball. They will be placed in Division I, Class A, District 10 in basketball, A-AA (Middle Section) in track and field, and District 10 A-AA in cross country and soccer.
- Representatives from the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce presented the TSSAA with a check for the 2015 BlueCross Bowl.
- Westminster Academy in Memphis was approved to become a TSSAA member school beginning with the 2016-2017 school year. The school is recognized by the Tennessee Department of Education as a Category 2 non-public school accredited by the Association of Classical Christian Schools (ACCS), and the school currently has 63 students in grades 9-12. They plan to participate in Division II in cross country and track and field.
- Voted to change the time for the East Tennessee Regional Meeting in November to 1:00 p.m. The West Tennessee and Middle Tennessee meeting will be held at 10:00 a.m. All times local.
- Voted to allow the state office to approve a change in the region basketball tournament site and/or times if the two schools that advance to the finals are in the same district and the original site is at an opposing district school. The host and two participating schools must all agree.