BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
August 13, 2018
- Roll Call
- Approved the Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to authorize the state office to select sites and make plans for conducting regional and state tournaments for meets in golf, tennis, cross country, track and field, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, soccer, and bowling.
- Approved the Financial Report for Baseball
- Approved the Financial Report for Softball
- Approved the Financial Report for Soccer
- Approved the Financial Report for Track and Field
- Approved the Financial Report for Tennis
- Approved the Spring Fling Report
- Approved the Auditor’s Report of the 2017-18 School Year
- Approved the 2018-19 TSSAA Budget
- Reviewed the List of Cooperative Programs Approved during the 2017-18 School Year
- Approved the Marketing & Sponsorship Report
- Approved the Student Services/The Right Team Report
- Voted to continue to pay the $30 membership into the National Federation Coaches’ Association for the state Coach of the Year winners for the NFHS Coaches Award Program. These are awards given for coaches of the year (male and female) from each state, section, and at the national level, as well as contributor of the year.
- Heard a Report on Officials’ Basketball Camps
- Approved the Financial Aid for the 2018-19 School Year
- Heard an Update on Regional Basketball Sites for the 2018-19 School Year
- Discussed the Administrators’ Meetings Schedule for 2018-19
- Heard the Technology Update, highlighting rules books changes and Portal improvements.
- Heard an Updated on the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, highlighting the new Health & Safety Policies page on the website and Pre-Game Contest Cards.
- Voted to Deny the Request of Lakeway Christian Academy to rejoin TSSAA beginning with the 2019-20 school year without having to serve as an affiliate member for one year. Voted to accept the membership of Lakeview Christian Academy for the 2018-19 school year, pending the approval of Lakeview Christian Academy’s Board.
- Voted to approve the second appeal of Austin-East Magnet High School and to remove both the restrictive probation and probation placed on their basketball program.
- Voted to approve the second appeal of Brainerd High School and to remove both the restrictive probation and probation placed on their basketball program.
- Heard about the changes for 2018-19 Volleyball State Tournament Dates: As a result of MTSU conflicts, the Volleyball State Championships will be held October 16th-18th, 2018.
- Heard about the changes to Mr. Football Awards & BlueCross Bowl Meeting: Due to scheduling conflicts with the Tennessee Titans, the 2018 Mr. Football Awards and the meeting with teams that advance to the BlueCross Bowl will be held this year on Sunday, November 25th.
- Approved Gary Hardin Academy’s Request for TSSAA Membership
Gary Hardin Academy is an alternate placement school under the jurisdiction of Sevier County Schools. Their membership is effective starting the 2018-2019 school year in order to co-op with Sevier County High School.
- Denied Official Appeals Suspension of Registration
- Approved Rockvale High School’s Request for TSSAA Membership
Rockvale High School is scheduled to open at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year. It is under the Rutherford County School System. Their anticipated enrollment is 1500 students in grades 9-12. They plan to offer all sports sanctioned by our organization. Rockvale High School will be placed in Division I, Class 5A, Region 5 in football, Class AAA, Region 4, District 7 in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, golf, tennis, and bowling, Region 4 Large in cross country, Section 2 Large in track and field, and Class AAA, Region 5 in Wrestling.