BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
August 15, 2016
- Roll Call
- Approved Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to authorize the Executive Director to select sites and make plans for conducting regional and state tournaments or meets in golf, tennis, cross country, track and field, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, soccer, and bowling
- Approved the Financial Report for Baseball
- Approved the Financial Report for Softball
- Approved the Financial Report for Soccer
- Approved the Financial Report for Track and Field
- Approved the Financial Report for Tennis
- Approved the Spring Fling Report
- Approved the Auditor’s Report of the 2015-16 School Year
- Approved the 2016-17 TSSAA Budget
- Reviewed the list of Cooperative Programs Approved during the 2015-16 School Year
- Approved the Marketing Program Update
- Approved/heard an update on the Student Services/The Right Team Update
- Heard a review of the A.F. Bridges Sportsmanship Awards Program. The Board voted to allocate $27,000.00 to schools’ athletic funds that receive the A.F. Bridges Award to honor a student-athlete at each of the 27 schools.
- Voted to continue to pay the $30 membership into the National Federation Coaches’ Association for the state Coach of the Year winners for the NFHS Coaches Award Program.These are awards given for coaches of the year (male and female) from each state, section, and at the national level, as well as contributor of the year.
- Heard a Report on Officials’ Basketball Camps
- Approved Financial Aid for the 2016-17 School Year
All member independent schools (Division I and Division II) were required to submit their financial aid information, as it pertains to varsity student-athletes, to the state office prior to July 18, 2016. After it was checked by the state office, it was presented to the Division II Committee for approval.
- Heard and update on Regional Basketball Sites for the 2016-17 School Year
- Discussed the Administrators’ Meetings Schedule for 2016-17
- Heard an update on BlueCross BlueShield Championship. We have completed the fifth year of this award sponsored by our corporate sponsors, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee.
- Heard the Technology Update
- Heard an update on the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee
- Heard an update on the closing of George Washington Carver High School and how it will effect transfer students, regional, and overall standings in football this upcoming school year.
- Heard an update on the closing of Memphis Northside High School and how it will effect transfer students, regional, and overall standings in football this upcoming school year.
- Voted to table discussion regarding Assignors’ Fees
- The NFHS Baseball Rules Committee passed a policy which states that all state associations must develop its own pitching restriction policy based on the number of pitches thrown during a game to afford pitchers a required rest period between pitching appearances. Click here to see the approved Pitch Count Regulations for the sport of baseball.
- Voted to add to the “Football Regulations” that it is required that helmets be worn during any football practice or activity that involves contact, including 7 on 7 competition.
- Voted to remove the requirement that the clock must be kept on the field during football games. School’s will have the option to keep the clock on the field or in the press box. This is effective during the 2016-17 school year.
- Voted that if a school is not in compliance with the NFHS football field shadow line rule, the game officials have jurisdiction to make applicable adjustments to the field or grant exceptions. The game will be played regardless of what adjustments and/or exceptions are made.
- Voted to deny the request from McCallie School and Baylor School to split the three classes evenly in Division II football classification.