BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
August 11, 2014
- Roll Call
- Approved Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to authorize the Executive Director to select sites and make plans for conducting regional and state tournaments or meets in golf, tennis, cross country, track and field, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, soccer, and bowling.
- Approved the Financial Report of Baseball
- Approved the Financial Report of Softball
- Approved the Financial Report of Soccer
- Approved the Financial Report of Track and Field
- Approved the Financial Report of Tennis
- Approved the Spring Fling Report
- Approved the Auditor’s Report for the 2013-14 School Year
- Approved the 2014-15 TSSAA Budget
- Reviewed the Cooperative Programs Approved during the 2013-14 School Year
- Heard Marketing Update
- Heard Update on the Student Services/The Right Team
- Heard Review of the A.F. Bridges Sportsmanship Awards Program
- Voted to continue to pay the $30 membership into the National Federation Coaches’ Association for the state Coach of the Year winners for the NFHS Coaches Award Program.
There are awards given for coaches of the year (male and female) from each state, section, and at the national level, as well as contributor of the year.
- Heard Report on Officials’ Basketball Camps
- Approved Financial Aid for the 2014-15 School Year. All member independent schools (Division I and Division II) were required to submit their financial aid information, as it pertains to varsity student-athletes, to the state office prior to July 21, 2014. It was then checked and presented to the Division II Committee for approval.
- Heard Update on Regional Basketball Sites for the 2014-15 School Year
- Discussed the Administrators’ Meetings Schedule for 2014-15
- Heard Update on the BlueCross BlueShield Championship. We have completed the third year of this award sponsored by our corporate sponsor, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee. In order to qualify, schools could not have any unsportsmanlike incidents throughout the season, which includes player and coach ejections.
- Heard Technology Update
- Approved revisions to the Media Regulations. Majority of the changes reflect live and delayed broadcasts of post-season contests.
- Voted to use the alternate 6-class plan for football classification for the remainder of the current classification period for schools in Division I (2015-16 and 2016-17 school years). The 32 largest schools based on enrollment will be placed in Class 6A and all 32 will automatically qualify for the playoffs. The remaining schools will be put in five classes, divided evenly based on their enrollment figures, and qualify for the playoffs as they did in the old 5-class system. The top 4 teams in each region (8 regions per class) will qualify for the playoffs.
- Voted to extend the current Ball Contract with Wilson Sporting Goods for an additional four years. The current contract goes through the 2015-16 school year.
- Approved request of KIPP: Nashville Collegiate High School for TSSAA Membership.
KIPP: Nashville Collegiate High School is a new school under the jurisdiction of the Metro Nashville Board of Education. Beginning with the 2014-15 School year, they have 9th grade only. Plans are to add a grade each year. The anticipated enrollment in grades 9-12 is 450 students. If approved, they plan to compete in track & field and soccer.
- Denied Dobyns-Bennett High School requests to consider allowing members of the Tennessee Football Coaches Association free admission into all football contests across the state. It is up to each school to determine who they will charge and who they will let in free during the regular season.
- Approved the request of W.E.B. Dubois Middle/High School for TSSAA Membership
W.E.B. Dubois Middle/High School is a charter school in Whitehaven. It has been in existence for two years and currently has grades K-10. They anticipate an enrollment of 90-150 students in grades 9-10 this school year. If approved they plan to offer every sport sanctioned by the Association.
- Voted to give state office flexibility to change the qualifying format for Division II Regional Wrestling Qualifying events if that is what the Division II schools request to do.