BOARD OF CONTROL AGENDA
June 7-9, 2016
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
- Drawing for Regional and State Volleyball Tournaments
- Financial Report of the 2016 Basketball Tournament Series
- Financial Report of the 2016 Wrestling Tournament Series
- Report of the 2016 Athletic Directors Conference
- Report of the 2016 Cheer Coaches Conference
- Sportsmanship – Review of the 2015-2016 School Year
This completes the 25th year of the sportsmanship program and we continue to approach this area from many different aspects each year. A full report is always given to the Board of Control by the staff in regard to the number of coaches ejected, disciplinary action, unsportsmanlike incidents investigated, etc. This allows us to review our approach to this very critical area in all of our sports. In addition, we will review the 21st year of the A.F. Bridges Program.
- Report of the Finance Committee
- Division II Need-Based Financial Aid Final Report
- Administrators’ Meetings Schedule
- Regional Basketball Sites
We are in the process of collecting information concerning Regional Basketball Tournament sites for the 2016-17 school year and will make a determination as to where each tournament will be held. We are asking Athletic Directors to check the TSSAA Portal to see if their site has been listed and update the portal if their Region has not been approved. An alternate site should also be submitted for approval. We will finalize all sites and present this information to the Board during the August meeting.
- Division I and Division II 2016 State Basketball Tournament Allotments
- Media Update regarding the NFHS Network and PlayOn Sports
- TSSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee Update
- TACA Cards
- DII Update
- Rossville Christian Academy Requests to Not Participate in 2016 Football Playoffs
Rossville Christian Academy is requesting they be allowed to withdraw from the 2016 Football Playoffs and continue to participate in the basketball post-season tournament. TSSAA Board of Control action states that if a school withdraws from the football playoff series and forfeits games, they cannot participate in the basketball tournament.
- Scotts Hill High School Requests Soccer Field Dimension Requirement for Regional Tournament
- Region 7A Requests Exception to Region Basketball Format
Region 7A schools are requesting to move the start date of their 2017 Region Basketball Tournament ahead by one day. Both districts have met and voted in favor of the proposed schedule.
- Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter School Requests TSSAA Membership for the 2016-17 School Year
Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter School is requesting to become a TSSAA member school effective with the 2016-2017 school year. The school is chartered and accredited via joint authorization by the TDOE and Shelby County Schools. The school’s estimated enrollment for 2016-2017 is 114 students in grade 9, 111 students in grade 10, 77 students in grade 11, and 65 students in grade 12. If approved, they plan to participate in football, girls’ volleyball, girls’ softball, boys’ and girls’ basketball, baseball, and boys’ and girls’ track and field. However, the school will not be eligible for the football playoffs until the 2017-2018 school year. Freedom Preparatory Academy will be placed in DI, A, District 16 in volleyball, softball, basketball, and baseball and in DI, A-AA, West Section for track. There is no need to place them in a Football Region until the next classification cycle.
- Officials’ Recruitment Committee
The Officials’ Recruitment Committee, chaired by Dr. Steve Chauncy, met at the TSSAA office on April 20th and May 18th. A full report will be given to the Board.
- TMSAA Championship Events Report
The TMSAA held state championships in Cross Country and Track and Field during the 2015-16 school year. A full report will be given to the Board.
- Jackson Central Merry Early College High School Requests TSSAA Membership
Jackson Central Merry Early College High School is opening in 2016-2017 as a stand-alone school with its own state ID number. The school plans to have a freshman and sophomore class with an estimated enrollment of 50-100 students. Plans are to add a grade each year. If approved, Jackson Central Merry Early College High School would seek approval to co-op with Madison Academic Magnet High School in all sports except football. They would request that they be allowed to co-op in football with North Side High School since Madison Academic and South Side High School have requested to co-op in football. In the past, Madison Academic had a cooperative agreement with JCM which is closing at the end of the 2015-2016 school year.
- Athens City Middle School Requests Waiver of NFHS Jewelry Rule in Softball
Athens City Middle School is asking the Board to waive the jewelry rule is softball to allow one of their players to wear a piercing for migraine headaches.
- Litigation Report
- American Cancer Society – Coaches vs. Cancer Program
Representatives of the Coaches vs. Cancer Program will be present to introduce the program and answer questions.
- River’s Edge Christian Academy Requests TSSAA Membership
River’s Edge Christian Academy is a Category 3 accredited school in Knoxville requesting to join the Association at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year. At the current time, the school has 70 students enrolled in grades 9-12. If approved, they plan to form a cooperative agreement in all sanctioned sports with Concord Christian School.