DIVISION II GIRLS’ SOFTBALL REGION TOURNAMENT GUIDELINES
- Dates / Times – TSSAA does not mandate that regional tournament games be completed by a certain date prior to the First Round and Quarterfinal Round, however the dates below should be taken into account when scheduling regional tournament games. Division II Class A Quarterfinals must be completed by May 19, 2018. The The Division II Class AA First Round Series shall take place May 11-12, 2018. The Division II Class AA Quarterfinal Series shall take place May 18-19, 2018. For the Division II Class AA Quarterfinal Series, schools can mutually agree to play earlier, however, the games cannot be played any earlier than Wednesday, May 16, 2018. If the established starting time of a region contest between two schools conflicts with the previously scheduled Commencement Exercises of one of the schools, and that school has Senior roster player(s), then at the request of the affected school, the contest will be rescheduled for a mutually agreed upon time and site that falls within the playoff timeline established by the TSSAA. In the event the two schools do not agree on a rescheduled time and site, the TSSAA Office will designate a starting game time and site.
- Tournament Site – Schools within each region shall select the sites and times of the region tournament. In selecting the site of the region tournament, consideration should be given to the facility that is in the best interest of the schools involved, the participants, and spectators. Adequate softball facilities may include but are not limited to:
- Ability to charge admission.
- Skinned infield.
- Minimum fence requirements (185′ – 235′) – Outfield fence requirements as set forth in the NFHS Softball Rule Book.
- Availability of lights.
- Adequate dug-outs.
- Suspended Games / Run Rule – Suspended games during the tournament are to be picked up from the point of suspension, at the next earliest opportunity to play. Tournament games do not have to go the full 7 innings. Coaches, plus the umpire-in-chief, can mutually agree to terminate a game early and a winner declared. Coaches must also mutually agree to the 10 run rule after 4½ innings (with home team leading) or 5 innings.
- Officials – If your team qualifies to host a region tournament game, contact the assigning officer listed next to your school’s name. Contact information for the assigning officer’s can be found here.
School Class District Region Assigning Officer Battle Ground Academy A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Boyd Buchanan High School A 2 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Chattanooga Christian School A 2 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Christ Presbyterian Academy A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Christian Academy of Knoxville A 1 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Clarksville Academy A 4 MIddle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Concord Christian School A 1 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Davidson Academy A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Donelson Christian Academy A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Evangelical Christian School A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis Ezell-Harding Christian School A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Fayette Academy A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis First Assembly Christian School A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis Franklin Road Academy A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Friendship Christian School A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Goodpasture Christian School A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Grace Baptist Academy A 2 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Grace Christian Academy - Knoxville A 1 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Harding Academy A 6 West Tony Walsh, Memphis Hendersonville Christian Academy A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Jackson Christian School A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis King's Academy A 1 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Middle Tennessee Christian School A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Mt. Juliet Christian Academy A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Nashville Christian School A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Northpoint Christian School A 6 West Tony Walsh, Memphis Notre Dame High School A 2 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Providence Christian Academy A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Sacred Heart of Jesus High School A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis Silverdale Baptist Academy A 2 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga St. George's Independent School A 6 West Tony Walsh, Memphis The Webb School A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Tipton-Rosemark Academy A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis University School of Jackson A 5 West Tony Walsh, Memphis University School of Nashville A 4 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Webb School of Knoxville A 1 East Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Zion Christian Academy A 3 Middle Ken Chapman, Murfreesboro Baylor School AA East/Middle Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Brentwood Academy AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville Briarcrest Christian School AA West Tony Walsh, Memphis Ensworth High School AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville Father Ryan High School AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville Girls Preparatory School AA East/Middle Larry Bateman, Chattanooga Harpeth Hall High School AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville Lipscomb Academy AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville Pope John Paul II High School AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville St. Agnes Academy AA West Tony Walsh, Memphis St. Benedict at Auburndale AA West Tony Walsh, Memphis St. Cecilia Academy AA East/Middle Eddie Litton, Nashville
Fees for a two-person crew shall be $65 per game, plus 15¢ per mile round trip per umpire when they travel outside the county in which they reside. Fees for a three-person crew shall be $60 per game, plus 15¢ per mile round trip per umpire when they travel outside the county in which they reside.
- Game Director – The principal of the host school shall be the Game Director. If additional facilities are secured other than those of the host team, the Game Director must be approved by the TSSAA state office. It shall be the duty of the Game Director to handle all financial arrangements for the game and to make financial reports to the participating teams. Additional responsibilities include:
- Arrange for scorekeeper, ball girls, ticket seller and takers.
- Make arrangements for concessions. Profits from the concessions will go to the host school or to those appointed by the host school to handle them.
- Purchase softballs. The cost of these balls shall be part of the game expenses. The unused balls should be divided between the participating teams after the game is completed. The Wilson A9011 (NFHS Polycore) will be used in the state tournament.
- Financial Arrangements / Reporting – TSSAA shall receive 18% of the gross gate receipts for each regional game. After paying 18% to TSSAA and game expenses, the gate is divided between the two participating teams. Postseason financial forms must now be completed through the TSSAA Portal. All checks for district, regional, and sectional tournaments and playoffs must be distributed within 10 business days of the completion of the tournament or game. Failure to do so will result in a $100.00 late fee to be paid to TSSAA and is to be used in the A.F. Bridges sportsmanship program to go to schools or students receiving awards. Failure to distribute funds within 20 business days will result in an additional $200 late fee (total $300.00). Failure to distribute funds within 40 business days will result in an additional $200.00 late fee (total $500.00). The school may not host any tournament or playoff until the principal or athletic director appears before the Board of Control to explain their reasons for not distributing the checks within the required time frame. The Board would then determine whether the school can host tournaments or playoffs in the future. It shall be the duty of the principal or his/her designee to handle all financial arrangements for the game and make a financial report to the state office.
- Tickets / Price of Admission – Admission shall be $5 for regional tournament games. Arrangements for tickets should be made by the host schools.
- Tournament Passes – Agree on passes that will be accepted at the gate. TSSAA ID cards, TSSAA Championship Event cards, and TACA cards are not to be accepted as passes. Players in uniform from each team, plus coaches and bat boys shall be admitted free of charge. In addition, working press and media shall be admitted free of charge.
- Tournament Rosters – A team may dress an unlimited number of players on the roster for region tournament play. Coaches should have their line-up written out and ready to give to the scorekeeper and the umpire when going over the ground rules.
- Awards – TSSAA provides a region champion plaque (Those schools wishing to purchase their own region runner-up plaque may contact A&M Products at (815) 875-2667.). Please check the list of Softball Awards Coordinators to determine where the region plaque has been sent. The host of the region finals is encouraged to contact the Athletic Director of the school that received the region award and make arrangements for delivery.
- Video / Videostream / Radio – Video taping or filming is permitted as long as the taping or filming is for private use or use by the two schools involved and not for public or commercial use. Video taping or filming must be done from the individual’s seat. Individuals will not be allowed to use tripods. A school taping or filming its own game may use a tripod. A school will not be allowed to tape or film a game unless its team is involved in the game. All taping or filming by a school may be approved by the local Game Director, and the Game Director shall assign space, when available, from which to tape or film. Any media entity or school wishing to videostream or tape delay any part of the region tournament must get permission from the tournament director. If such permission is granted, a minimum fee of $250 (tape delay) or $500 (live telecast/videostream) is required. The fee will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts.
- Submitting Region Tournament Results & First Round Game Information – Upon completion of the region tournament, please email your results to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, first round and quarterfinal game hosts please submit the site and time of your game(s) to email@example.com as soon as possible.
- First Round & Quarterfinal Round Guidelines – Information regarding the First Round and Quarterfinal Round can be found here.