DIVISION II DISTRICT BASEBALL TOURNAMENT GUIDELINES
The tournament director/host school(s) should coordinate a meeting with district coaches to clarify the following items prior to the start of the tournament. Communication with district coaches can be initiated through the TSSAA Portal by clicking on the following tabs:
Sports > Memberships > Members
Here you will find email distribution lists for all district athletic directors and head coaches. You will also find a no-cost conference call line with an access code that is unique for your district.
- Tournament Draw / Schedule – The tournament draw is based on seeding criteria established by the district. Set schedule and times for all games, if not already done. Notify assigning officer of local association of district tournament schedule, times and sites as soon as possible.
- Suspended Games / Run Rule – Suspended games during the tournament are to be picked up from the point of suspension, at the next opportunity to play, unless we have completed 4 1/2 innings with the home team leading. Tournament games do not have to go the full 7 innings. The 10 run rule is mandatory.
- Tournament Site – In selecting the site of the district tournament, consideration should be given to the facility that is in the best interest of the schools involved, the participants, and spectators. Adequate baseball facilities may include but are not limited to:
- Ability to charge admission.
- Availability of tarp.
- Availability of lights.
- Tournament Director – The tournament director shall be selected by the schools within the district. It shall be the duty of the Tournament Director to handle all financial arrangements for the tournament and to make financial reports to the participating teams. Additional responsibilities include:
- Arrange for scorekeeper, ball boys, ticket seller and takers.
- Make arrangements for concessions. Profits from the concessions will go to the host school or to those appointed by the host school to handle them.
- Purchase baseballs. The cost of these balls shall be part of the game expenses. The unused balls should be divided between the participating teams after the game is completed.
- Tickets / Price of Admission – Ticket prices for the tournament should be agreed upon by the schools. They are not set by TSSAA. Arrangements for tickets should be made by the host schools.
- Tournament Passes – The host school(s) along with the teams in the district should agree on the passes that will be accepted at the gate, as well as the number of passes that will be honored for players and staff of participating teams. TSSAA Championship Event cards and TACA cards are not to be accepted as passes.
- Tournament Rosters – A team may place an unlimited number of players on the roster for district tournament play. A team may dress an unlimited number of players for district tournament play. Coaches you should have your line-up written out and ready to give to the scorekeeper and umpire when going over ground rules.
- Game Officials – Game officials shall be supplied by the local association serving the host school. Game officials shall be paid regular season rates plus mileage at 15 cents per mile per official. Mileage is to be paid only if travel for the official is outside the county in which the official resides and should be based on mileage from city to city.
- Financial Arrangements – TSSAA shall receive 18% of the gross gate receipts. Postseason financial forms must now be completed through the TSSAA Portal. All checks for district, regional, and sectional tournaments and playoffs must be distributed within 10 business days of the completion of the tournament or game. Failure to do so will result in a $100.00 late fee to be paid to TSSAA and is to be used in the A.F. Bridges sportsmanship program to go to schools or students receiving awards. Failure to distribute funds within 20 business days will result in an additional $200 late fee (total $300.00). Failure to distribute funds within 40 business days will result in an additional $200.00 late fee (total $500.00). The school may not host any tournament or playoff until the principal or athletic director appears before the Board of Control to explain their reasons for not distributing the checks within the required time frame. The Board would then determine whether the school can host tournaments or playoffs in the future.
- Video / Videostream / Radio – All taping or filming by a school must be approved by the local Game Director, and the Game Director shall assign space, when available, for the school to tape or film. Rules governing videostreaming or other broadcast of a postseason contest are found in the TSSAA Media Regulations.
- Tournament Awards – TSSAA provides a district championship plaque and a district runner-up plaque. Please check the list of the Baseball Awards Coordinators to determine where the district plaques have been sent. Tournament directors are encouraged to contact the Athletic Director of the school that received their district’s awards and make arrangements for delivery.
- Region Tournament Guidelines – Information for teams which advance to the Division II Region Tournament, can be found here.