BOARD OF CONTROL MINUTES
March 11, 2014
- Roll Call
- Approved of Minutes of Last Meeting
- Voted to elect Mike Reed as President of the Board of Control
Voted to elect Jerry Mathis as Vice-President of the Board of Control
- Approved the 2013 BlueCross Bowl Team Allotment Report
- Approved the Financial Report of the 2014 State Bowling Tournament
- Approved the Financial Report of 2013 TSSAA Hall of Champions Games
- The TIAAA and Cheer Coaches’ Conferences will be held on April 6-8, 2014 at the Embassy Suites in Murfreesboro. The TIAAA Board wants to have a question and answer session at the conclusion of the Conference. The President and Vice President of the Board of Control and Legislative Council will make up the panel.
- The Board took the following action in regards to the situation scheduled to take place in Shelby County involving the school system and municipalities being formed. It is the understanding of the TSSAA that the cities of Germantown, Houston, Arlington, Millington, Collierville, and Bartlett are scheduled to start their own school systems, possibly serving the students that live in their respective areas only. It is also with the understanding that they are taking the existing city limits and establishing their own zone lines.
After much deliberation, the TSSAA Board of Control established the following guidelines for member schools as it pertains to transfer students:
- Student-athletes currently enrolled and in regular attendance at Germantown, Houston, Arlington, Millington, Collierville, Bartlett, and Bolton may remain at that school, if allowed, and maintain their varsity athletic eligibility status. The same applies for middle schools in those areas.
- Student-athletes currently enrolled and in regular attendance at Germantown, Houston, Arlington, Millington, Collierville, Bartlett, and Bolton may transfer to the school they have been rezoned for, provided they are enrolled and in regular attendance at the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year.
- If a student participates in Fall Practice or attends school for three or more days, they will be considered enrolled in that school. Transferring to another school at that point will deem them ineligible for twelve months.
- Students falling in this category must be submitted on their new school’s online eligibility page as transfers. In order to get them approved, school administrators must check the statement which reads, “First opportunity to attend this school.”
- Denied Proposal from Clarksville Academy to add a class in Division I Bowling
- Mark Wilson, Athletic Director at TTU, shared with the Board their plans to renovate Tucker Stadium, which is the home of the BlueCross Bowl. Tennessee Tech also presented a check for the amount agreed upon in the contract to host the BlueCross Bowl.
- Voted to Table Proposed Addition to TSSAA/TMSAA Heat Policy regarding Football Practice